Poll: A or PwA

Where you can talk about pretty much anything.

Do you refer to yourself as Autistic or Person with Autism

Autistic
100%
Person with Autism
No votes

Total votes: 4

LadyStone aka Caragh

Poll: A or PwA

Post by LadyStone aka Caragh » Fri 01 Jun , 2018 12:52 pm

YOU MUST HAVE AUTISM TO ANSWER A or PwA POLL

Autistic or Person with Autism?
Caragh from the past

AlexRowley

Re: Poll: A or PwA

Post by AlexRowley » Fri 01 Jun , 2018 3:09 pm

I can understand why people might use "with autism", but personally I prefer autistic unless I'm talking about someone who doesn't like that term. That being said, I feel like I have to say "people with autism" at work, in order to look professional.

My autism is part of who I am, not an optional extra that can removed when it's inconvenient. I'm ginger, not a "person with red in his hair". I'm English, not a "person from England". So why should I have to label myself as a "person with autism"?

Again though, I think each to their own. But it would be nice to not feel unprofessional when I say " autistic people".

(Just to clarify, Sycamore has never dictated which term I should use, it's more when I'm talking with outsiders)
Here to help every Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Just drop me an email or call the Hub and I'll see what I can do :ugeek:

Chrisdrew

Post by Chrisdrew » Tue 26 Jun , 2018 4:33 pm

I use autistic, for much the same reason I use the name Chris, it's what I've grown up understanding and seems second nature to me now.

Whilst having spent time on "certain" forums has certainly given me an understanding of how the term can take on a negative and insulting connotation due to misuse. I grew up using the term as that was how it was taught to me, by both those who diagnosed me, the teachers at school, and my mother a paediatric occupational therapist.

I had honestly not come across the PWA terminology before. I can certainly understand it's use from a third party- non specific- viewpoint, like in scientific writings. but it seems odd to refer to someone casually as such

LadyStone aka Caragh

Post by LadyStone aka Caragh » Fri 29 Jun , 2018 11:02 am

i also refer to myself as autistic, as do many others. not many people would refer to themselves as person with autism :) :)
Caragh from the past

AlexRowley

Post by AlexRowley » Fri 29 Jun , 2018 11:26 am

Chrisdrew wrote:
Tue 26 Jun , 2018 4:33 pm
Whilst having spent time on "certain" forums has certainly given me an understanding of how the term can take on a negative and insulting connotation due to misuse.
This is a really good point, and something that gets on my nerves. There seem to be lots of names for medical conditions and disabilities that have become "bad words" over the years not because they are inherently hurtful, but because they have been appropriated by others as insults. Just look at Scope's old name!

It's something I really don't want to happen to "autistic", which I suppose makes it important for us as a community to take ownership of the word. At the same time though, does getting offended over it risk making us look oversensitive?

Also, I have to admit that hearing/reading "weaponised autism" cracks me up every time. But then again that isn't what I would call an insult, so much as a stereotype of us being obsessive researchers. And to some degree that is a stereotype I can live with.
Here to help every Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Just drop me an email or call the Hub and I'll see what I can do :ugeek:

LadyStone aka Caragh

Post by LadyStone aka Caragh » Sat 29 Sep , 2018 5:31 pm

I would much rather person with autism on a piece of paper than person with disability/illness.

Just because I’m different doesn’t make me disabled/ ill. That’s just like saying someone who can twist their body into a (not so right Position) is broken.

But then again being autistic is so much more better than being a boring norm.
Caragh from the past

AlexRowley

Post by AlexRowley » Thu 04 Oct , 2018 6:06 am

LadyStone aka Caragh wrote:
Sat 29 Sep , 2018 5:31 pm
But then again being autistic is so much more better than being a boring norm.
*Banned for discriminatory language*

I kid xD Going back to your actual point, I think it depends on your definition of disability. What you're talking about sounds like the deficit model, whereas I prefer the social model. The social model of disability basically says that it's the hole's fault a round peg can't fit through it, rather than the other way around. We can't control how we are born or what happens to us, but infrastructure, systems and attitudes are all things society can do something about.

Even better is the empowerment model though, which basically believes that people with disabilities can contribute to society in awesome ways that they couldn't otherwise :)

P.S. Thanks for catching that spammer, just banhammered him xD