Being Different and Health Issues

Where you can talk about pretty much anything.
LadyStone aka Caragh

Being Different and Health Issues

Post by LadyStone aka Caragh » Fri 13 Jul , 2018 12:21 pm

Being different, is never a bad thing. However, being different and having mental health issues is a very big issue that's never talked about.

I find it impossible to talk to "Professionals" in the health sector(doctors). What makes it worse is they don't understand why i can't talk to them, or tell them where and why it hurts. and sometimes, quite often I'm left feeling embarrassed and upset because when i do tell them what's going on within myself, i feel they ignore me and don't understand and tell me its all in my head. Most "Professionals" I've spoken to have told me that I'm imagining things and its all inside my head.

My question to all the readers, reading this right now is..

"have you had a good or bad experience with doctors?"
Caragh from the past

AlexRowley

Re: Being Different and Health Issues

Post by AlexRowley » Thu 02 Aug , 2018 4:29 pm

LadyStone aka Caragh wrote:
Fri 13 Jul , 2018 12:21 pm
Most "Professionals" I've spoken to have told me that I'm imagining things and its all inside my head.
Is it just me, or is this their go-to answer for EVERYTHING?
Here to help every Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Just drop me an email or call the Hub and I'll see what I can do :ugeek:

Frenchie33

Post by Frenchie33 » Mon 10 Sep , 2018 9:35 am

In the past,I have had doctors accuse me of "faking it" or not having the symptoms I say I have.

Its kind of like sometimes I can't put into words how I am feeling if that makes sense? :?:

LadyStone aka Caragh

Post by LadyStone aka Caragh » Tue 11 Sep , 2018 2:17 pm

AlexRowley wrote:
Thu 02 Aug , 2018 4:29 pm
LadyStone aka Caragh wrote:
Fri 13 Jul , 2018 12:21 pm
Most "Professionals" I've spoken to have told me that I'm imagining things and its all inside my head.
Is it just me, or is this their go-to answer for EVERYTHING?
I know right!
Caragh from the past

Frenchie33

Post by Frenchie33 » Tue 11 Sep , 2018 2:47 pm

I totally agree with Caragh, Its time more health professionals got the true knowledge of Autism and how it affects those in various ways

AlexRowley

Post by AlexRowley » Thu 13 Sep , 2018 4:47 pm

Frenchie33 wrote: I totally agree with Caragh, Its time more health professionals got the true knowledge of Autism and how it affects those in various ways
It's not even just autism. Just take a look at a fibromyalgia forum and you'll find loads of people being similarly dismissed by their doctors. It's like their automatic reaction is: "Can I see it? No? Then it's nothing." Or if you're a troublemaker, they'll send you off with a form to take a blood or urine test.

To be fair, they are usually pushed for time, and can't spend hours hunting down your symptoms in their books. But it also says something that yesterday I had one of the best experiences ever with the visiting-GP at my local surgery. He actually listened, asked questions, explained himself, and made my mum feel welcome as my support rather than an intruder.

I'm finding it hard to say anything about him that isn't what any GP should have done, so why does that experience feel so much more positive than usual?

(wow, that reply really rambled on....)
Here to help every Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Just drop me an email or call the Hub and I'll see what I can do :ugeek:

Frenchie33

Post by Frenchie33 » Thu 13 Sep , 2018 5:59 pm

I think its just some Doctors get it and others don't.

For example,I attended a LD meeting at King George's Hospital yesterday and it was said that Doctors (In their training) don't get that much LD awareness training. So their knowledge is basic at best,Limited at worst.

But I do hear that the CCG are pressing forward with their plan to introduce more LD training for all newly qualified GP's :-)

Plus the Hospitals are doing the same as well,So we are getting there slowly but surely Alex :)

Aimee

Post by Aimee » Fri 12 Oct , 2018 2:28 pm

I find it hard when you been told you have Autism and learning difficulties and just been diagnosed with depression and anxiety. I need advise. I am worried no one will understand me :roll:

Frenchie33

Post by Frenchie33 » Fri 12 Oct , 2018 2:45 pm

Hi Aimee,

Please do come along to our Steering group Next Friday at Romford Autism Hub 11am till 1pm,Where you would be most welcome :D

Then you will see your not alone and others can and will help you :)

Have a great weekend

Danny

Aimee

Post by Aimee » Fri 12 Oct , 2018 2:49 pm

hi Danny
I will definitely come although my anxiety will be high meeting new people. x

Frenchie33

Post by Frenchie33 » Fri 12 Oct , 2018 3:00 pm

Aimee,

Please do not worry about that,We are all friendy and ALL have Autism and to a point suffer other health issues. You would be in a safe place,No judging,No expectations (Just come,Be yourself) And it will be a great day for you! :-D

Remember,Sycomore Trust is for people like us with Autism,Your in safe hands!

Have a great weekend. See you next Friday.

Danny

LadyStone aka Caragh

Post by LadyStone aka Caragh » Mon 15 Oct , 2018 5:51 pm

Frenchie33 wrote:
Fri 12 Oct , 2018 3:00 pm
Aimee,

Please do not worry about that,We are all friendy and ALL have Autism and to a point suffer other health issues. You would be in a safe place,No judging,No expectations (Just come,Be yourself) And it will be a great day for you! :-D

Remember,Sycomore Trust is for people like us with Autism,Your in safe hands!

Have a great weekend. See you next Friday.

Danny
Have you had depression before?
Caragh from the past

Frenchie33

Post by Frenchie33 » Mon 15 Oct , 2018 8:01 pm

Caragh, Actually I have,Still have in fact,I was trying to be positive and say it will be ok for Amiee to be at our group.

Each person deals with Depression differently.

I deal with it in my own way,A way that works for me :)

Danny xx

LadyStone aka Caragh

Post by LadyStone aka Caragh » Tue 16 Oct , 2018 1:23 pm

Frenchie33 wrote:
Mon 15 Oct , 2018 8:01 pm
Caragh, Actually I have,Still have in fact,I was trying to be positive and say it will be ok for Amiee to be at our group.

Each person deals with Depression differently.

I deal with it in my own way,A way that works for me :)

Danny xx
Yeah, ik. I was curious. My depression is embedded in my skin, some people do not know this. I still suffer with depression but no diagnosis because I can smile on que
Caragh from the past

frankiecutri

Post by frankiecutri » Thu 18 Oct , 2018 5:34 pm

I am responding to the post that says " is it me or is it the drs go to answer to everything"

And I agree to meny professional want to take the easy way out rather then trying to get to the bottom of what the course if the problem is