Poll: Do you have an understanding of autism, as an autistic individual

Where you can talk about pretty much anything.

do you have an understanding of Autism, as an Autistic individual

Stupid question, ofcause i have an understanding of autism.
67%
i have some sort of understanding about Autism
33%
No, i don't have an understanding of Autism.
No votes

Total votes: 3

LadyStone aka Caragh

Poll: Do you have an understanding of autism, as an autistic individual

Post by LadyStone aka Caragh » Fri 27 Jul , 2018 10:18 am

you have to have autism to answer this poll!
Caragh from the past

AlexRowley

Re: Poll: Do you have an understanding of autism, as an autistic individual

Post by AlexRowley » Thu 02 Aug , 2018 4:20 pm

Whilst I have an understanding because of my own autism and have tried to expand it, through meeting and working with other people with autism, and through study at university, I'd still be very hesitant to say something like "I know all about autism".

I find that the people who say that tend to let you down the most. What do you guys think?
Here to help every Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Just drop me an email or call the Hub and I'll see what I can do :ugeek:

LadyStone aka Caragh

Post by LadyStone aka Caragh » Sat 29 Sep , 2018 5:19 pm

AlexRowley wrote:
Thu 02 Aug , 2018 4:20 pm
Whilst I have an understanding because of my own autism and have tried to expand it, through meeting and working with other people with autism, and through study at university, I'd still be very hesitant to say something like "I know all about autism".

I find that the people who say that tend to let you down the most. What do you guys think?
I agree with you 100%. The people who say they know all about autism are the ones who 99% of the time let you down.
Caragh from the past

AlexRowley

Post by AlexRowley » Fri 05 Oct , 2018 12:30 pm

Yay, I'm not the only one! I think it's because they get so caught up in what they think autism should b and how it should be supported, they refuse to actually look at the person in front of them and their individual traits and needs.

One of my teachers started off saying she knew all about autism because she had a relative with it. She was the worst teacher I've ever had, and thought I shouldn't be in mainstream school. Her relative went to a special school, which I doubt was a coincidence.
Here to help every Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Just drop me an email or call the Hub and I'll see what I can do :ugeek:

LadyStone aka Caragh

Post by LadyStone aka Caragh » Fri 05 Oct , 2018 2:51 pm

AlexRowley wrote:
Fri 05 Oct , 2018 12:30 pm
Yay, I'm not the only one! I think it's because they get so caught up in what they think autism should b and how it should be supported, they refuse to actually look at the person in front of them and their individual traits and needs.

One of my teachers started off saying she knew all about autism because she had a relative with it. She was the worst teacher I've ever had, and thought I shouldn't be in mainstream school. Her relative went to a special school, which I doubt was a coincidence.
“Professionals” say it’s all in your head, but wouldn’t last 10 seconds with Autism.
Caragh from the past