If you could chose to become normal, would you?

Where you can talk about pretty much anything.

Would You Choose To Take The Tablet?

Yes:
33%
I’m not sure:
No votes
No:
67%

Total votes: 3

LadyStone aka Caragh

If you could chose to become normal, would you?

Post by LadyStone aka Caragh » Tue 04 Jun , 2019 1:24 pm

Somebody comes up to you, and tells you that they are you from a different reality exactly like ours. They say that their reality has come up with a tablet that instantly kills the autism within us. Making us instantly “normal” they watch your eyes light up. As their about to say something they disappear.
Caragh from the past

AlexRowley

Re: If you could chose to become normal, would you?

Post by AlexRowley » Thu 06 Jun , 2019 3:38 pm

It kind of depends on what you mean by normal.

Would I want a cure for my autism? No way, any more than I would choose to have a neurodegenerative disease such as Parkinson's or Alzheimer's. It's totally changing who you are as a person, in order to fit what society thinks you should be.

On the other hand, do I want the same opportunities as other people? Do I want to be a productive member of society? Do I want to marry and raise my own family? As old-fashioned as those goals are, yeah I do. And it does feel a lot harder for me to achieve those goals with my autism, even though I've had a lot more support and opportunities than most.

The second one is especially worrying because of the biological clock, which isn't going to wait for my girlfriend and I to be in a position where having kids is realistic. Not to mention that social services will probably be watching like hawks from the moment she gets those two little lines, looking for any excuse to "rescue" any spawn from us freaks of nature.

That being said, my autism isn't what makes me disabled. It's society's inflexibility that does that. I honestly think my Dad is just as autistic as I am, but he grew up in a different time, when you could get a job without pieces of paper and still afford to live. Repetitive labour was a way of life, where being antisocial was a useful trait, at least for the people handing out the pay packets. Work these days seems increasingly dependant on flexibility, social skills and pieces of paper, so is it any wonder that we are being left behind?

So if choosing to be normal meant living in a society that was so flexible it could support everyone, regardless of their physical and mental differences, then yeah I totally go for that. Unfortunately, it seems a long way away right now.
Here to help every Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Just drop me an email or call the Hub and I'll see what I can do :ugeek:

LadyStone aka Caragh

Post by LadyStone aka Caragh » Sun 09 Jun , 2019 1:52 pm

I would choose to delete every illness / disability I have. I have my reasons.
Caragh from the past

AlexRowley

Post by AlexRowley » Mon 10 Jun , 2019 4:29 pm

LadyStone aka Caragh wrote:
Sun 09 Jun , 2019 1:52 pm
I would choose to delete every illness / disability I have. I have my reasons.
Yeah, that's understandable. Even if overall I feel differently, I admit I wish I didn't have shutdowns, which are the most disabling part of my autism right now imo :roll:

End of the day they are your conditions, so no-one can tell you what your opinion on them should be.
Here to help every Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Just drop me an email or call the Hub and I'll see what I can do :ugeek: